Giants through to quarter-finals after over running Colts

Coulsdon Colts Flyers v. Giants

2 - 7

Saturday 15th December 2018

It was perhaps surprising therefore that the final score was 7-2. The only way Coulsdon were going to score was with the assistance of the fierce wind that twice saw set-pieces (a throw and corner) deflecting off Teddington players into the Giants net. Fortunately this was of little concern in a match that the Giants dominated from start to finish.

The much-awaited cup game finally arrived on Saturday. After a disappointing postponement due to a waterlogged pitch the weekend before, the match was on and Dan was back in charge. He saw his team outclass the Old Coulsdon Colts Flyers in every department. The boys were fired up by dreams of a cup run and Dan instructed them to keep it tight at the back and to stop the Colts getting sight of goal – the boys duly obliged with their opponents failing to hit a single shot in the whole match.

The Giants handled the difficult conditions much better thantheir opponents and were unconcerned by playing uphill into a strong wind in the first half. Unlike the home side the Giants ignored the cold; their fans standing on the sidelines were not so happy and several were seem to scamper to the porta-cabin to seek comfort from bacon butties and coffee.

The game kicked off early and the Teddington side were immediately looking to get forward.  Josh came close before Zai opened the scoring for the Giants. The boys were on top but unable to make the pressure count and approaching the end of the quarter the Colts were back in the game with the first own goal. Jake’s first meaningful act was to pick the ball out of the net.

The Giants started to exert themselves in the second quarter and took control of the game with three quick fire goals. The first from Josh who finished clinically when put through by Zai. Julius then scored a goal from nothing; dispossessing the Colts defender on the wing and advancing towards goal before shooting across the keeper into the corner.  Julius then turned provider slipping the ball through to Zai for him to shoot home for his second of the day. 4-1 and comfortable and it should have been more with the Giants pressing hard, giving the Colts no time on the ball and making chances to extend their lead. Seb was a rock at the back; Jake was chilling in goal with little to do. It came as a surprise therefore that the Colts  got the next goal – again an own goal with the ball deflecting off a Giants defender past the helpless goalie. 4-2 at half time.

The Colts manager suggested playing six a side in the third quarter as the subs were freezing on the sidelines. The game became more congested but the Giants were with the wind and playing downhill. The Colts hardly got out of their own half with Louie and Julius holding firm at the back. Jake, Tom and Josh were further upfield. Jake and Tom both came close to scoring but it was Josh who stole the show weaving through the Colts players to score three more goals.

The game was up for the Colts and the final quarter was played as a friendly with eight players to each side. The boys came close but the score remained at 7-2. A fine victory in difficult conditions. On the evidence of this game a cup run is well and truly on.  

Team: Eli, Jake, Josh, Julius, Louie, Seb, Tom, Zai

Goalscorers: Zai (2), Josh (4), Julius

Man of the match: Josh

Reporter: Hu Dano

Posted in Giants, Under 9's.