Giants edge a close encounter in the Bushy Park mud

Giants v. Reigate Youth Wildcats

5 - 4

Saturday 1st December 2018

The Giants followed up their 10-1 win over the Walton Warriors last weekend with another victory at Bushy Park today. This was a much closer affair played in sticky conditions following a night of heavy rain. The boys were less focused than last weekend, perhaps over confident after last weeks win, affected by the miserable weather, or dreaming of Christmas on the first day of December, but they still managed to put on a good show against a strong Reigate team.

The Wildcats from Reigate started well and warning of their attacking threat came when they struck the post in the first few minutes. The Giants matched their play and were pushing forward with menace. Josh scored five last week and was the first on the scoresheet once again with a clinical finish after a perfectly weighted pass from Julius. The Giants lead was short lived with the Wildcats equalising soon after, as the boys over-committed upfront. The Giants continued to attack and were soon back in front with Josh turning provider and Julius slotting the ball home. They extended their lead soon after, a second goal for Josh from the edge of the area. 3-1 at the break.

The second quarter saw the Reigate Wildcats come back into the game. Josh, Noah and Julius were pushing forward as an effective attacking trio but leaving Louie in defence, and Jake in goal, vulnerable to the counter attack. There were warnings in the first quarter but these had been repelled through incisive tackling and good handling. In the second quarter the Wildcats were more ruthless and twice took advantage to bring the score back to three each at half time.

Tim, standing in as manager for Dan, knew that the Giants had a battle on their hands to win this one. He shuffled the team with Julius dropping back into goal, Jake and Charlie taking up defensive responsibilities and Tom and Zai further upfield. The tension was broken soon after when a speculative long shot from Jake slipped through the Wildcats keepers fingers to give the Giants the advantage. Jake was controlling the game for the Giants and they went further ahead when the Reigate team handled in the box after his shot at goal. Jake made no mistake from the spot, striking into the corner for his second and the Giants fifth of the day. The Reigate team were not finished and following a nice exchange of passes down the right wing reduced the deficit to one goal.

Both teams continued to battle in the last quarter. Tom and Eli came close for the Giants but it was left to Julius to save the day. With five minutes to go the Reigate team were awarded a penalty after a tussle in the box. Julius spread himself large to block the shot and then dive on the ball before the Wildcats player could strike the rebound. There was still time for him to make another fine save to deny the Reigate side and ensure that the Giants held on for another victory.

Team: Charlie, Eli, Jake, Josh, Julius, Louie, Noah, Tom, Zai

Goalscorers: Josh (2), Julius, Jake (2)

Man of the match: Julius

Reporter: Hu Dano

Posted in Giants, Under 7's.