Giants beaten in battle against Walton’s Warriors

Giants v. Walton Warriors

4 - 5

10th March 2018

After a five week break enforced by frozen, waterlogged and snow sprinkled pitches, the Giants were back in action at Bushy Park against a committed Walton team. The match was a thriller with the Giants fighting back from three goals down to lose by a single goal in a fiercely contested and evenly matched game.

The Warriors lived up to their name putting in a battling performance. After a cautious start the Giants grew into the game and returned the Warriors steel with a passionate and rugged display. At times the game resembled a rugby match with both teams hunting in packs, rucking for the ball and battling to advance a few yards up the pitch. Passes were intercepted and shots were charged down in a thoroughly entertaining game.

The Giants started slowly, taking time to find their game after over a month without a competitive match and lacking the fluency that their passionate spectators have grown to expect. The Warriors took advantage of this early caution to press forward in a dominant first quarter. Louie was commanding in goal and made several fine saves but could do nothing to stop an angled strike across the goal to give the Warriors the lead and they followed this up with a second goal soon after to lead 2-0.

Manager Dan Crosby switched the team around for the second quarter and the Giants tightened up at the back and added bite to their tackling. Against the run of play the Warriors extended their lead with a clean strike from a free kick, but the Giants were in the game now. Soon after the Giants got a free kick of their own and Jake pulled a goal back with a wonderful strike into the top corner. The half time whistle sounded with the Warriors 3-1 up.

The Giants were in their stride now. Josh, Jake and Seb were pressing up front and Julius was imperious at the back, intercepting the Warriors attacking efforts. The Giants were rewarded with a second goal after fine interplay between Josh and Jake allowed Jake to strike home for his second. The good work was however undone with a lapse in concentration soon after, allowing the Warriors to restore their two goal advantage.

The Giants were back on the attack in the final quarter but fell further behind when a fierce Warriors’ strike went in off the post. No chance for Charlie in goal. This spurred the Giants to renewed effort and Jake ran through the Warriors tiring defence for his hat trick and followed that up with a fourth goal a few minutes later. Time was ticking down … would the Giants have time to salvage a dramatic draw? With less than a minute to go the Giants were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. Jake stepped up to strike but it was not to be … the ball whistled past the post.

Man of the match: Jake

Reporter: Hu Dano

Posted in Giants, Under 7's.